Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (
-   CMTC (
-   -   Will be back (

abatie 06-30-2011 10:32 AM

Will be back
Wanted to let those that follow the CMTC threads know that I won't be around here for awhile as I am having brain surgery today. I will try to be back here as soon as possible. I want to wish all the families good luck that are going to meet with the CMTC team. We are so upset that we can't make it due to this surgery. We really need to get together with the team because as most of you know Becca has had considerable complications. Lex did Facebook me about it but it was after my surgery was scheduled. Hopefully you will all get the answers you are looking for.

missy 07-01-2011 03:05 AM

We will be keeping you in our prayers and hoping to hear from you soon!!


abatie 07-10-2011 03:49 AM

Well I am back although they tried really hard to kill me. My three to six days in the hospital turned into nine. I kicked the neurosurgeons off my case completely and the highest officials from the hospital were in to see me regularly the second to last day. There is a ton of stuff in my file that doesn't make sense, I have a stitch in my back that nobody can explain, and then my whole file disappeared for over an hour yesterday. I don't know what is going to come out of all of this but I don't think it is over. I vomited for four days straight and then I started to get better. Unfortunately I developed terrible spinal headaches and the nurses called neuro for 10 1/2 hours with no callback.

missy 07-10-2011 11:26 PM

WHAT?!? You'll have to sit down and write what happened in order.



abatie 07-11-2011 12:56 AM

Yeah something with the whole situation is not right. I don't know if I will get any answers because a whole lot of back peddling is being done. Doctors didn't round that were supposed to and both of the actual surgeons left Omaha right after my surgery. That was a big problem since one is one of the few people in the country that do this surgery and he was unavailable to help. The resident that was supposed to round on me had never worked with a patient that had this done. The hospital also called this guy's office about getting someone to come and they were told that they didn't think they rounded at my hospital. He called to schedule my followup appointment last week while he was in Aberdeen (close to home) and found out I hadn't even gotten out of the hospital yet. That should have been a clue that he should have called back to Omaha to find out what was going on. Also, they never had physical or vestibular therapy come work with me the entire time. Being in bed that long has left me almost completely unable to even hold my head up. I never thought I would be the type of person to go after a hospital but we are considering it. We have never had such poor care by doctors through all of our experiences even with Becca's medical issues. I have a lot of anger!

missy 07-11-2011 03:13 PM

I don't blame you for being angry! That's awful! Hospitals, sheesh ... too many cooks in the kitchen and no one knows what's on the stove!

How are you getting along now? How are the kids?


abatie 07-11-2011 04:40 PM

I am doing awful-I can't even lift my head off a pillow. Then I set up rehab this morning for tomorrow but they called and then said I can't start for a few weeks. I am a go getter and I feel completely dependent on everyone else. It is depressing. The kids are doing great and have been real helpers. grandma made nurse hats for them and they are being my nurses. Basically I can get myself to the bathroom and everything else requires me to use a walkey talky for help. I am considering calling my family doctor to see if I can get another blood patch down to help with my head because I may still be leaking spinal fluid. I thought bed rest was bad but this is a thousand times worse!

missy 07-12-2011 01:22 AM

That all does sound bad :(

Here's sending you good thoughts and prayers!


abatie 07-22-2011 06:21 PM

I thought I would update on where everything is. I am making progress and have actually been out of my house for short periods of time the last two days. Yesterday I had an appointment for an incision check and since my surgeon from Omaha wasn't in South Dakota I saw the doctor who actually referred me to him (he has also seen my kids and done surgeries on two). We talked about what had happened in Omaha and he was furious (this is a man that I didn't think could get upset). He said he and his partner would be talking about it before the end of the day and calls would be made to Omaha. He also said that the surgeon that told me "I am doi you a favor" will not see any other patients from their practice. He said that if this stuff is going to be how their patients are treated they will not be referring people to Omaha. He also said he wanted me to talk to the ear surgeon about it when I see him in a couple of weeks. He said he had better never hear of a situation like this again. He said that my procedure is the biggest, most complicated of anything performed in the ENT field and my surgeon shouldn't have left me in the hands of a resident. He said they send a lot of tumor patients to Omaha and that many of them are not as young and healthy as I am and it worries him to think of what is happening to people who may not be as aware of what is taking place. Many of them also don't have a spouse that stays at the hospital as much as mine did to help make sure care is being taken care of. He felt really bad about the whole thing and said I shouldn't have spent so many days as sick as I was. If the resident didn't know what to do he should have found someone who did.

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.