Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (
-   Adults Living with Birthmarks (
-   -   Questions - Please help (

EvenStevens 10-28-2012 01:07 AM

Questions - Please help

I am a 25 year old female who was, as a child, diagnosed with a Hemangioma though it never went away, which I suppose puts me in the general category of AVM.

Mine is on my right thigh, from above my knee to where my thigh starts, and I'm not sure any technical terms for this, but it seems to be in the muscle as well. If I do not exercise every day then my thigh muscle atrophies and it's hard to walk. That being said, I'm very healthy and I exercise for two hours each day while trying to keep the muscle built up.

In the past year or so I've noticed a bunch of cherry hemangiomas popping up in different places on my body. I'm wondering if this is because of my AVM or if it is something else I should be concerned about. Most of them are no bigger than a pen point though one that I've had on my head for many years now seems to have gotten bigger.

They're spread out but located on my stomach, my back, my head, my shoulders, and I have a couple of them on my left thigh.

I had two or three my whole life, but just in the past year 10+ have popped up. Should I see a doctor or should I consider this typical aging with AVM? My biggest problem is, due to the economy, my job does not offer health insurance so if I have to see a specialist I'm in trouble.

A year ago I was very overweight, and over the past 12 months I have lost almost 60 pounds. During the weight-loss, these started popping up more frequently. I'm wondering if it may be tied to that as well, or hormonal changes. I'm just worried they're going to keep coming, or get bigger.

Any advice/guidance/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

dancermom 10-09-2013 07:48 PM

Cherry angiomas increase with age. I have a million of them, and have not been diagnosed with any avms or vms. The sites you mention are typical for cherry angiomas and not for HHT-related telangiectasias. About your knee-to-thigh malformation, there is no determining what type of malformation is is with appropriate scans: CT, MRI, or an arteriogram. You should see an interventional radiologist or vascular surgeon to look into this, so you know what type of malformation you are dealing with, and which types of treatment may be appropriate for you. AVMs and VMs can progress and worsen -- it's better to know now what you have, so you can be prepared in future. If you are diagnosed with AVM or VM, then please join

kaykay 10-10-2013 03:00 PM

i agree with dancersmom, you should get it checked out and then you will have a better understanding of how to treat it

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.