Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Relationships
Thread: Relationships
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Default Re: Relationships

Hey People* ;D,
I'm a little remiss in responding to this message board, given that you started this in 2003...haha. I have read a lot of very positive responses from you all. It compelled me to post a poll.* I used to belong to a pws support group founded by one of the VBF people, Mike DeSteffano. I have to say, most of those people (at least when I was on the group) were happily married or in very stable long term relationships. So, I'm thinking to myself, "Am I a total freakin' loser?"

To be quite frank, I have an attractive albeit petite physique. I am intelligent and independant. Despite my birthmark, I am very outgoing. However, I have a very extensive facial portwine stain.* Given that it is fed by an underlying AVM, it is rather plum colored. It looks like a dark purple beard, essentially. I have scarring on my left cheek from an Argon treatment. I have had at least 8 treatments with PDL so it has lightened considerably on my right cheek and neck. The chin is just stubborn; increased blood supply and all that. My jaw and lip have hypertrophied due to the birthmark. I would say in all honesty, if it weren't for the darn birthmark, and comorbidities, I'd be hot.

I have had ZERO, when I say zero, I mean zero luck with men.* No dates, no repeat dates after a blind date, nothing!! Not even flirting!!!! Literally, after 3 months of having no matches on I gave up. Forget it. I'll be one of those old ladies with 60 cats. I'm just kidding here...I'm actually allergic.*

I have no problems talking to people. I talk to guys all the time. The problem, is that we usually become friends. So I have a bunch of boy friends, but no boyfriend.* My one guy friend told me that I just push guys into the friend category to avoid getting hurt, so I worked on the flirting thing. It didn't make a difference. I'm taken for granted because afterall, I am just one of the guys. Meanwhile the guy is falling over furniture to help out the hot chick get a glass of water, or some such rediculousness. Let me clarify here. I don't intend to bash guys. I hazard to guess, guys have been subject to the same sort of things.

I just don't get it. How do all these people with PWS find someone that can look past image, and I can't? Well, I guess I have rambled enough.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and stories. It is really nice to be able to get some insight from other people's experiences.

what part of me being all noble didn't get through?--Angel