Daughter has a hemangioma on lip and in mouth. I need advice! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Liz64 Liz64 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
Default VM - Inside right side of mouth and upper lip and spreading out

Hello Rajeev / Tara:

I'm in Chicago and my daughter has a VM inside her mouth on the right side of her cheek and is spreading to the upper side of her lip, currently at the edge of her mouth. She ha seen Dr. Mancini along with all his group specialist (plastic surgeon, radiologist, laser doc, etc.) and was recommended to have plastic surgery when she turns 3. She is 28 months right now. I am worried because from being a subtle dot, it is gradually growing.

My question to both of you is: Since your postings are relatively old, what are the current status on your daughter's VM? Any information is greatly appreciated,


Dear Tara,

You cannot afford to take chances with Hs on the face and inside the mouth. Our daughter has a similar distribution (known as "beard distribution") on her face below her mouth and inside her cheek and gums. What your Ped may not know (or remember from Med School) is that if the H is internal, it may extend down your daughter's throat and internal Hs can grow and obstruct her airway.

OUr little girl had one below her vocal chords, called a sub-glottal H. Luckily we put her on steroids at 4 months and the obstruction never grew past 30% of her airway. At 10 months her airway was completely clear. However, since age 4 months we have been seeing a Pediatric Dermatologist monthly and an Ped ENT doctor once we knew she had the internal Hs.

YOU NEED TO GO TO A SPECIALIST. And by specialist, I don't just mean Dermatologist. You want a Pediatric Dermatologist and preferably one with experience with Hemangiomas.

We use Dr. Mancini at Children's Memorial in Chicago. I don't know where you live, but you can find a physician using this board.

Good luck.

Rajeev Malik[/quote]
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump