Help me figure out if doctor is right - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2003, 04:08 AM
Posts: n/a
Default Help me figure out if doctor is right

I was born with a large black birthmark on my right big toe. It runs in the family but usually those who have it end up getting cancer in another part of their body. My last relative to have have it was one of my grandmothers sisters. Also my great grandfather(my mothers grandfather) had it. It has never darked or gotten bigger. iI've had it from birth. But I'm havig problems determining what type of birthmark it is even though I think it's a port wine stain. I was told 4 years ago it did not have to be removed but suddenly my doctor is suggesting that it should. It has a indefinite border its not a perfect circle its like a blob border. It's about 1 inch across. It covers most of my toe. Please if you're willing to help do. I don't want to get rid of my family's history without a few other opinions.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:52 AM
hankbartenbach hankbartenbach is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 533
Default Re:Help me figure out if doctor is right

Hi unknownBirthMark, my name is Hank.

I am 20 years old with several Hemangiomas and Port Wine Stains.
So how old are you?

I have never heard of a black PWS, but then again I am not a doctor. Was the mark in the same spot?
If so I do not think it is a PWS because suposably they are not gentic. If yours really is a PWS you are the first that I heard of. I know it happen but in Three different people in the family that seems really weird.
I strongly suggest you get that look at by a physician ASAP. If you are looking for a doctor I suggest you go to the left of this page under the resources click on (Find a Physician) go in there and scrull down to the state you live in or a state close to you and start calling doctors. Remember to get more then one opinion. I do not think your current doctor knows much about this field of study because if it is a PWS then he or she should have known to get it check out ASAP.
If you have any other questions please ask I am here for you.

Talk to you soon.

Hank B
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump