Trying to decide whether to continue treatment or take a break - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
snickelfritz snickelfritz is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Default Trying to decide whether to continue treatment or take a break

My 4 year old dd has had 8 laser surgeries on her PWS. We started when she was 1 and went every 3 to 4 months. We have tapered off and now we schedule around holidays and such. I just moved the next one back to avoid surgery right before the new school year.

We want to take a break. She reacts horribly the day of the procedure. She won't cooperate for so much as a blood pressure cuff. The entire day is full of holding her down for them to even do the admission procedure. I tried going into the room while they sedated her and she still wouldn't cooperate, so I left. I don't think it went much better after that, since they told us they need to up her dose of Versed for the next trip.

We're resigned to the fact that it won't completely go away. We do want to keep it from getting darker and thicker. On top of that, our insurance covers it and we don't want to stop and have them decide it really isn't necessary.

Maybe this is just the typical pre-surgery dread creeping in. Is it common to keep going every 3-4 months indefinitely? When talking to the surgeon, the typical answer is "It's looking good. Come back in 3 months."
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:27 AM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054

Are you seeing clearing each time? Is it darkening in between treatments? It might just be a good break for both of you and see how things look in 6 mnths? Of course ask your doctor's opinion on waiting too. Dr. Nelson can also give you info (ask the expert) how waiting awhile might help or hinder or neither if you wait. I would keep in mind that once she is older (teen-twenties) treatment might be necessary to control any thickening of the lesion.

take care. Enjoy a "vacation" from the dreadful fight. When she is older maybe she will be able to communicate (and you with her) on what she wants and what is in her best interest.

Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
treatment for old pws on arm? chasingdawn Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 1 11-29-2008 02:14 PM
1st treatment was Tuesday for my son Lorie J Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 2 08-14-2007 04:12 PM
Other PWS treatment sweden Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 3 10-28-2006 09:19 PM
f/u from my hubby's first treatment and 2nd treatment beth216 Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 2 07-13-2006 02:55 AM
Exercise effect Laser treatment? Tone Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 2 09-09-2005 03:04 PM