3 month old with H on scalp - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
pichpaw pichpaw is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 24

just one more thing re the GA. the anesthesiologist told me as i nervously handed my baby off to him that there was a bigger chance of something bad happening on the car ride over to the hospital than due to GA. so really GA is very very safe. keep us posted.

Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 AM
annalbc annalbc is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 13

She's adorable! So, your surgery date is close! Our daughter had a scalp H removed back in sep. when she was 6 1/2 months old. It went well, she was such a trooper! I posted a new thread with before/after pics. Her's was ulcerated as well. We are pleased with the outcome besides some widening of scar tissue. Her hair will most likely cover most of it anyways.
Keep us posted on how surgery goes!

Anna, mom to Emily, 11 months old, surgery for scalp H removal 9/07
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
MOLLIE MOLLIE is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16

I'm just curious, did all three Plastics Surgeons recommend surgery or treatment? The plastic surgeon we saw today said that if it had not stopped growing then there was a chance for the H to grow back. I am just confused, my daughters H is a little lower on the forehead than Kayleigh's and I am scared that if we wait, it will grow larger and have an even bigger scar because of the damaged skin around it. What led to your decision on which doctor to use for the surgery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LindieHemangioma6weeks6days.jpg (93.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 AM
L Musil L Musil is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Default 4 month old with Hemangioma on soft spot on head

I was born on September 28th @ 5lb 10 oz a baby girl. I had a red spot on the top of my head over my soft spot that everyone said was a birth mark. Yep, this makes me special. However, for the first few weeks there were no noticeable concerning changes and then at 7 weeks, this has grown and grown and grown.

I am now 4 months old and now weight about 14 lbs. It was recommended that I visit a Dr. Wolfe at childrens hospital in Miami, which I did, and now they want me to have surgery when I am 6 months old. However, I am concerned that this is still growing and want to know if I am seeing the right Doctor and do I have the correct treatment. I am not concerned about how I look, because I will grow up to be confidant in how God made me, but I do have concern that this is growing so large and is over my soft spot where my brain tissue is growing. My parents are very concerned and I know they really want to do whatever they can for me. Any recommendations and why should I wait until 6 months?

Thank you, Holly
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
lpm lpm is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 54


You are one precocious kid - my 12 year old can't write that well.

How large is the hemangioma? Have you been on steroids to try to control growth? Have you looked at some other websites, which show examples of similar hemangiomas and involution (I have seen some photos of hemangiomas in that location that have involuted very well).

I am glad to see that the doctors are being aggressive, but even six months is quite early for surgery if the hemangioma is not problematic. Also, when my youngest had surgery, she had the smaller hemangioma (on top of the head) removed in addition to the larger one on the face. The one on top of the head never exhibited aggressive growth, but it "came back" about 3-4 months after surgery (surgery at 11 months). You may want to discuss this with the doctor, as your surgery is scheduled when the hemangioma may still be growing.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
MOLLIE MOLLIE is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16

Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for Kayleigh and your family. I hope surgery went well and she gets well soon! Let us know how you guys are doing when you get a chance.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 month old with PWS-Questions zuzuspetals Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 19 01-19-2013 06:30 AM
Hemangioma scabbing for a month DianaK Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 5 04-01-2010 03:02 AM
*NEW* 20 month old w/Hemangioma on scalp Melissa01 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 2 06-20-2009 05:20 PM
Is my 3 month old daughter's hemangioma shrinking, or should I have it removed? twilkerson Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 1 11-13-2008 04:45 PM
Going back for 6 month follow up jlt71079 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 0 04-11-2008 03:08 PM