Port wine stain - dermatologist or plastic surgeon - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 PM
drakes drakes is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Default Port wine stain - dermatologist or plastic surgeon


Do you know if a port wine stain is better treated by a dermatologist or by a plastic surgeon?


Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 AM
zuzuspetals zuzuspetals is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52

Well, I'm no expert. Just a mom to a little 18 month old girl with a PWS on her face. However, my understanding is that a PWS is typically treated by a dermatologist. If the PWS causes hypertrophy, or if there are other underlying conditions that require surgery, then a surgeon might come into play. Otherwise, the PWS itself is usually treated by a dermatologist.
This is how I understand it.
Congratulations on your new little one! 4 months old is a a great age...but aren't they all?
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 AM
drakes drakes is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5

thanks for the information.

he is actually 4 weeks, but yes, they are...

is your daughter receiving treatment for her PWS?
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054

Typically a dermatologist will evaluate/treat a patient with PWS...However, I believe it is important to know the experience level of the specialist primarily. So, in your area the surgeon might have more experience with pws then the derm. It just depends on how often they see cases/etc.

Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 AM
hankbartenbach hankbartenbach is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 533


I have had both on my PWS.

Really the laser treatment treates the PWS to remove it and maintance,
Where the plastic surgery is to remove the over growth if the PWS gets out of control or in my case just grew from the hormones.

They really are not compairable because if your PWS is still flat laser treatment is still the only way you can treat it or remove it as far as I know.

Dr. Waner was the only plastic surgeon that was even willing to touch me with a knife because of my bleeding problem.

If you want to see before and after pictures of both my laser treatment and plastic surgeries my website is hankspws.com

Hope this help

Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Melaina'sMommy Melaina'sMommy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 10

I say someone who specializes in treating pws only!!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 PM
tess tess is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11

I would encourage you to interview several doctors, so that you can find out the different approaches and treatment philosophies they each have. No two doctors are the same, of course, and you may find one with whom you feel more comfortable and confident.

We interviewed a local dermatologist who could provide laser treatments but found out that treating children with PWS was not her specialty (or even something she did that frequently). We decided we would feel much more comfortable with a doctor who had greater day-to-day experience in treating pediatric PWS. We now have to travel a little bit greater distance to a different dermatologist, but we feel much more confident that he is the right match for our daughter's needs.

Sometimes it may seem that doctors are in positions of great authority and we must go along with whatever they say, but don't forget that as parents we are equal members of the health care team for our children. Our kids depend on us to be their advocates and find the best care for them.

I'm sure you'll be able to find an appropriate doctor, whether dermatologist or plastic surgeon, that you feel good about. Good luck, and blessings to your family during this process!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
erih erih is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 56

I asked one of the doctors either from this site or from birthmark.com (I forget which) & he said that it doesn't matter ask long as the Doctor has experience. (I can double check my email if you'd like more specifics, ie who the doc was.)

Hope this helps!
The hope a dream and the wings to be free
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a port wine stain cause physical pain? Jennyjuju Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 3 12-10-2011 02:53 AM
3 week old daughter diagnosed with Port Wine Stain elip Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 8 11-22-2006 06:06 PM
Port wine stain garcia03 Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 1 06-21-2006 04:17 PM
Lasting Laser Therapy of Port Wine Stains purplecolor Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 22 09-30-2004 08:38 AM
My Port Wine Stain Story myportwinestain Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 0 01-29-2003 02:50 AM