new here - Dr. prefers wait-and-see - unsure - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM
gloria gloria is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default new here - Dr. prefers wait-and-see - unsure

HI! Thank you for this incredibly helpful forum.

Our 10 month old has a hemangioma on her right nipple. It started growing at a few weeks and seemed to have stopped by the time she was 7 or 8 months old. It is mostly flat and red, greying in the middle. There is also some excess tissue underneath it, so that the right nipple is noticeably puffier than the left one.

We have seen our pediatrician as well as a dermatologist. They both recommended the wait-and-see approach since it appears to have started to involute already, and is in an inconspicuous location. The dermo said she could do laser, but that would only eliminate the redness, and do nothing to help with longer term scarring, or with the extra tissue under the skin. She said that in 2 to 10 years, when it is completely finished involuting, we can look into surgically correcting the scars and removing excess tissue.

I'm having doubts that this is the best treatment option. We want to minimize any scarring or surgery (of course). Maybe we should reconsider the laser treatment? Is there anything that can help get rid of the extra tissue?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 8th 018 for web.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM
HLA76 HLA76 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19

Unless it is going to cause some other problem, most doctors do the wait and see approach. My son has as trawberry birthmark on his belly and we were told by both his pediatrician and our pediatric derm to just leave that one alone and they would only treat it if something happened to (ie: ulceration or if his pants irritated it). I know it's hard, but just keep a close eye on it and if you see any changes go back to the doctor. If you are really unsure, get another opinion.

Good luck!!!!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 AM
missy missy is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,794

Hi and welcome!

One good way to get a second opinion is to ask an expert I would suggest Dr. Levitin, but Dr. Geronemous or Dr. Zide too. You can send them that photo through the form.

Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 PM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054

My son had a large segmental hemangioma on his face. THough most of it was flat, there were areas that were thicker and his specialist believed he would need a face lift/remove excess skin. I really pushed for laser and my son did end up having multiple treatments... I really do believe the laser helped keep his skin firm. He will not need any surgerical correction. It is something I would recommend getting opinions about. Dr. Stuart Nelson would be a great resource for you to email and ask questions to regarding the benefit of doing laser in your daughter's case. If you can send him photos that would be helpful.
Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump