Update - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > CMTC

Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 AM

Default Update

I used to post here pretty regularly but haven't for awhile. Becca is now in school (actually her second year of K). She is doing very well with her CMTC and dealing with peers. There have been some questions but we have educated the students in both her classes (We take Buddy Booby's Birthmark in each year). She still has a significant LLD and a difference in girth. She has lower muscle tone on the entire side of her body affected. This has made handwriting difficulty. She doesn't go outside when temperatures fall below 30. We are very happy at all the progress and growth she has made. it is a relief compared to the little girl that faced so many problems when she was small.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Wow! How are you? I'm so happy to see you!

Glad to hear the good news on Becca. She sounds like she has been working very hard.

My older child had significant difficulties with handwriting. He ended up with an iep for disorder of written expression and we were able to find accommodations for him. Writing was so difficult for him that he would write as little as possible, or be so slow in his work that he wouldn't finish. It was very disheartening for a while. It was a lot of hard work. His teachers would actually scribe his answers for him or allow him to take timed tests verbally.

It's easier now, because high school is all about typing and he's better at that. He actually still has a hard time planning sentences and just the other night he asked if he could dictate some notes for me to type.

Tell Becca to hang in there and thank you so much for remembering to come in and give an update!

Missy
Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 AM

I am actually doing well. Life has been crazy busy with four growing kids. I am pretty involved with the US and International CMTC groups and I do translations for the international website.

The handwriting is always going to be an issue and at some point we need to put something in her 504 plan to address it. I have had students that I scribe for at school also. It works okay depending on the class. It might be an option for her and I think typing will be better for her because it is a different type of motor control.

So many of the fears we had about school have not been an issue. She has adjusted better than we could have expected. Becca is strong and a fight and she has a big brother and big sisters who are excellent support. Her brother actually did a presentation on CMTC for school and it went to the state competition. So proud that the entire family gets behind her.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Administrator

It sounds like everyone is doing so well and I'm so pleased to know that. I honestly expected no less.... I knew you were intelligent and resourceful the first time you wrote something here. You've always been so together.

Keep on letting us hear from you. This documentation of your family's journey means a lot!

Missy