living in my own world - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2015
Celebrating 21 years with
80,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 04-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Post living in my own world

My name is Christina Markham I was born with hemangioma in 1964. I was the first patient to ever use the injectable steroid that's used today to stop the growth of hemangioma. Before a treatment was found it had destroyed the left side of my face. I had undergone 22 surgeries from the age of 1 until I was 13. My life journey has many twists and turns. My parents went from doctor to doctor, many telling them to let it grow thankfully they didn't listen. The treatment had never been used for hemangioma it was still in its early stages being used on cancer tumors. My parents agreed to give it a shot and it worked, but not before the hemangioma did its damage. It destroyed my lip, nose, eye, and worse of all my sprit for life. My parents wanted me to have a life as normal as possible so they never were ashamed to take me out in public and send me to school. As a child I was teased , thrown in dumpsters , and made fun of everyday. When I reached my teens I found alcohol and drugs to fix the mental pain going on inside. Alcohol and drugs consumed my life for 25 years. I'm 8 years sober now and I have a wonderful life I've come to except me for who I am. I have a wonderful husband, two wonderful daughters that hemangioma did not affect and three four lagged children that love me very much. My mom passed away in 2005 my dads still is with me. I hope I can help children that are born with hemangioma today and let them know there are others and don't ever be ashamed of what you look like. Skin is a shell, what counts is what's on the inside and how you feel about yourself not what others think about you.

Last edited by chrismark1964 : 04-10-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: adding pics